Setting Up a L2TP/IPSec VPN on ServerStadium for Secure VPC Access
Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) are essential for ensuring privacy and security in today’s digital world. This tutorial will guide you through setting up an L2TP/IPSec VPN on a Windows machine, providing secure access to your ServerStadium Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), which houses your cloud instances.
For more tutorials and guides, make sure to visit our Knowledge Base.
Step 1: Register Your Account
Step 2: Add Your Cloud Instance
Step 3: Access VPN Details
In your ServerStadium Cloud Dashboard, navigate to the VPN section to access your VPN user credentials and pre-shared key. Please keep this information handy, as you’ll need it in the next step.
Step 4: Set Up L2TP/IPSec VPN on Windows
- Click on the Windows Start button and select ‘Settings’.
- Click ‘Network & Internet’, then ‘VPN’.
- Click ‘Add a VPN connection’.
- In the ‘VPN provider’ dropdown, select ‘Windows (built-in)’.
- In the ‘Connection name’ field, enter a name for this VPN connection.
- In the ‘Server name or address’ field, enter the IP address of your ServerStadium VPC.
- Select ‘L2TP/IPsec with pre-shared key’ in the’ VPN type’ dropdown.
- In the ‘Pre-shared key’ field, enter your pre-shared key.
- Enter your VPN user credentials.
- Click ‘Save’ to finish the setup process.
Step 5: Enable MS-CHAP v2
For your VPN connection to work properly, you’ll need to enable MS-CHAP v2 in the adapter settings:
- Open ‘Network and Sharing Center’ and click on ‘Change adapter settings’.
- Right-click on your VPN connection and select ‘Properties’.
- Navigate to the ‘Security’ tab.
- In the ‘Authentication’ section, ensure ‘Allow these protocols’ is checked, then check ‘Microsoft CHAP Version 2 (MS-CHAP v2)’.
Step 6: Connect to Your VPN
Now, you can connect to your newly set up VPN connection. Open the Network and Sharing Center, select your VPN connection, and click ‘Connect’.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully set up an L2TP/IPSec VPN on your Windows machine, providing secure access to your ServerStadium VPC.
Visit our Knowledge Base for more tutorials and guides.